In addition to visiting individual companies career sites, below are a additional job sites:
- idealist – Jobs, Volunteer Opportunities, Internships
- ITF Job Board
- Illinois Technology Association is a source of opportunities in the Chicagoland tech industry. Join one of the many great companies utilizing technology to transform industries in the greatest city in the world!
- Indeed very interactive job search.
- Luminty NPO.Net – is a listing of non-profit job openings.
We have many information technology and other senior managers eager to provide mentoring to Students, please review our Mentoring Program and look for a mentor in your field. If you don’t see a match, please feel free to contact us.
Find A College/Find a Scholaship
- BDPA Scholarships several scholarship opportunities.
- Betty Stevens Freckall Scholarship
- Cappex college search made simple! Search for colleges, get detailed info on college admissions and apply for scholarships, It is free..
- Cheap Online Colleges provides a comprehensive and informative resource that allows you to search for colleges and their respective tuition. I believe this type of information is very valuable to today’s students who are not only dealing with a more competitive higher ed environment, but also with the rising costs associated with them.
- College@Home Check out school reviews of more than 100 online schools and correspondence college programs, in which we profile the schools’ history, programs and academic reputation. Want to test out your online learning skills? Then, browse through our Open Courseware list and take one of many completely FREE online courses from some of the best colleges in the nation. With so many opportunities to earn a degree by taking classes from home, it’s hard to imagine why anyone would opt for traditional campus-based classes anymore.
- College Scholarships helps find college scholarships. It is free..
- Foundation for IT Education various scholarship opportunities.
- Kevin Jetton Scholarship
- National Center for Education Statistics is the primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education in the U.S. and other nations. NCES is located within the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences.
- Online College Courses is a free and comprehensive resource that is a collection of open college course that spans videos, audio lectures, and notes given by professors at Harvard, Princeton and MIT. It aggregates the best available open courseware for students and professionals, all in a conveniently searchable online courseware platform.
- Open Education Database helps ambitious or prospective students find the most convenient, valuable, and relevant education programs to fulfill their academic and career objectives.
- Zinch helps students find a college or scholarships. It is free.
Why get an IT certification?
There is growing demand for IT-certified professionals across a variety of technology areas. Today, more employers are searching for staff with proven IT skills that can be applied on the job, with limited or no ramp up time. IT certification programs provide real-world scenarios, as well as live software and hardware simulations, that enable IT professionals to make an immediate impact on the job.
Earning the right certification shows an individual has completed the necessary steps and has the skills, knowledge, and competency required to perform at a high level. Today, most technology professionals could benefit from pursing a well-chosen computer certification. IT certification programs offered by leading training providers also cover the latest vendor technology. The training on this technology is created and delivered at the same time with or right after a new product or software is released by the technology vendor (e.g., Microsoft).
Our preferred certification training partner, Directions Training, offers a wide variety of vendor-based technology certifications covering Microsoft, Cisco, VMware, CompTIA, and many others. To help students understand the differences between and benefits of each IT certification available in the market today, they offer a free service to help students evaluate which certification best meets their needs to start or advance a career in information technology. For a free consultation, please contact one of their Career Consultants at (855) -575-8900.
- Cisco Learning Network –According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts are at #2 on the list of top 20 fastest growing occupations through 2018.
- CompTIA – A+, Network+, Scurity+, Server+ and many more industry nuetral certifications.
- CompTIA Interactive Career Roadmap – this is a very helpful tool to track you career from entry to advanced level. It includes many of the key vendor certification programs like Cisco and Microsoft.
- Google – Apps Certification Program is for IT professionals who deploy, sell, develop, and support Google Apps.
- Hewlett=Packard (HP) Learning – provides the opportunity to earn a career certification right in the classroom. The HP ATA certification goes well beyond simple concepts or product knowledge, giving you real-world experience designing and deploying IT solutions for networking, connected client devices, servers and storage, and the cloud.
- IBM Professional Certification – is both a journey and a destination. It’s a business solution. A way for skilled IT professionals to demonstrate their expertise to the world.
- Microsoft Learning –Discover the many benefits of earning a Microsoft Certification, including career opportunities and validation of your skills.
- Oracle – Certification career paths
- SAP Certifications -in order to keep pace with the growing demand for SAP certification, we have significantly enhanced and expanded our certification program. You can now obtain certifications at two levels of expertise – associate and professional.
- VMware Certifications -designed to validate and recognize IT professionals with the technical capabilities and real-world experience needed to effectively install, manage, deploy and support VMware products and solutions.
Industry Associations – Student Membership
- Association of Information Technology Professionals – is the community of IT knowledge focused on empowering the IT profession by evolving its members to their full potential as a professional.
- BDPA -(Black Data Processing Associates) is a non-profit organization of professionals working in or having an interest in the Computer Science and Information Technology fields.
- Computer Research Association – contains information of special interest to Undergraduate and Graduate Students.
- Illinois Technology Foundation – is pleased to support Illinois students through our affiliation with the Illinois Technology Association Student Membership Program. Student membership is FREE and is available to a student of any accredited local institution.
- Information Systems Security Association – is a not-for-profit, international organization of information security professionals and practitioners.
- Project Management Institute – PMI is the world’s leading not-for-profit membership association for the project management profession, with more than half a million members and credential holders in more than 185 countries.
- Women in Technology International (Witi)- Chicago – mission is to empower women worldwide to achieve unimagined possibilities and transformations through technology, leadership and economic prosperity.
- CIO.com – a magazine and website for IT professionals.
- Computerworld – free news letters on a variety of IT subjects, cloud computing, data base, hardware, software.
- InformationWeek – the business value of technology.
Preparing to Find a Job
- How to research a company before your interview – Before a job interview, find out more about your prospective company. You’ll ask better questions and be able to decide if you actually want to work there.
- 10 ways to be liked in your job interview – Everyone wants to make a good impression in job interviews. But did you know that too much smiling or asking too many unrelated questions can circumvent that goal?
- Five tips for acing a job interview – When the time comes to hit the interview trail, your preparation, attitude, and presence all count. Jack Wallen offers some proven tips for making your interviews a success.
- Questions you should never ask in an interview – When an interviewer asks if you have any questions, that is not the time to see what you can get from a company.
- Maron Structure Technologies – free online on demand technical tutorials. one minute tech tips.